Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Racial Descrimination (CERD) Taskforce
The INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION ON THE ELIMINATION OF ALL FORMS OF RACIAL DISCRIMINATION (CERD) TASKFORCE guides the USHRN CERD project. The group consists of volunteer leaders that apply to and are selected to serve on the taskforce. The CERD Taskforce serves as the primary coordinating body for social justice groups and individuals interested in using the UN and the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination (ICERD) to advance racial justice in the United States. The CERD Taskforce works to promote the full implementation of ICERD and has been working with grassroots groups around the country to call for the adoption of a National Plan of Action for Racial Justice.
Specifically, the Taskforce will: disseminate information relevant to the ICERD review of the United States; coordinate the submission of shadow reports and other relevant written responses; facilitate broad engagement in the process; promote participation in civil society and government consultations; and coordinate UN advocacy and other substantive follow-up on the reviews.
CERD Taskforce members include:
- Marcia Johnson-Blanco/Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law (co-chair)
- Jamil Dakwar/American Civil Liberties Union, New York, NY
- Farah Tanis/Black Women's Blueprint
- June Zeitlin and Sakira Cook/The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- Efia Nwangaza/Malcolm X Center for Self Determination
- Peter W. Brown/Minnesota Tenants Union
- Virginia Davis/National Congress of American Indians
- Eric Jantz/New Mexico Environmental Law Center
- Philip Tegeler and Megan Haberle/Poverty & Race Research Action Council
- Carlos Garcia/Puente Arizona
- Sunnetta "Sunny" Slaughter/Sunny Slaughter Consulting, LLC
- Thandabantu Iverson/Trinity United Church of Christ, Gary - "In The Heart of The Community" Ministry
USHRN has an official listserv for the CERD project to facilitate information sharing on the USHRN CERD project and the implementation of the CERD treaty in the U.S. Join the CERD listserv (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The CERD Taskforce meets on a monthly basis. For more information on the work of the CERD Taskforce, please send an email to CERD@ushrnetwork.org.